Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

choosing material for threaded rods??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GogiBOB

Mechanical
Jul 8, 2011
CA
Hi,
I need yield tensile strength of 95k~120kpsi for 7/16" threaded rod or 60~75kpsi for 1/2" threaded rod. I would prefer smaller sizes but I can't find material with enough tensile strength. Another thing I am considering is corrosive resistance. Can anyone give me any advice on choosing the right material?

I was thinking about Titanium gr5, Titanium 11, AISI 4130 and SS 302.
Also, I was thinking about fiber glass threaded rods and it seems like there are some suppliers who supply them. Would it be a good idea to use fiber glass threaded rods?

I would really appreciate any comment.
Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not enough information regarding your comment below to provide a material recommendation....
Another thing I am considering is corrosive resistance. Can anyone give me any advice on choosing the right material?

What kind of corrosive service?
Service temperature?

eh I forgot to mention the important requirements.

Service temperature is room temperature 70'F(21'C) and maximum target temperature of 500'F(260'C).
I am looking for ones with water/salt water/steam resistance.
Thanks

How about 2507 duplex steel? You get min. 115 ksi tensile strength, max. operating temperature up to 600F, and I think this alloy is designed for use in salt water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back