Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Christmas Bonus 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

casseopeia

Structural
Jan 4, 2005
US
I haven't seen a Christmas bonus since maybe 2007, until this year. My boss left this on my desk.

whammies.jpg

Just curious if anyone is seeing Christmas bonuses. Don't say how much, especially if it was a good one. Just an informal survey…

"Gorgeous hair is the best revenge." Ivana Trump

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, I got canned today so I gave the Whammies back saying I'd feel guilty keeping the lovely Christmas Bonus.

"Gorgeous hair is the best revenge." Ivana Trump

Mixed feelings on that one, Cass... I think we all knew it was coming eventually, so you must be relived to be out of the situation, but losing a job (especially when things are tight) is never fun.

Keep your chin up, blow steam off here whenever you need to, and consider how much better your life will be in a few months when you're sitting behind the desk of a company that truly values you.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Sorry to hear that Cass. Nice move with the return of the Christmas "gift". Now the boss can figuratively choke on them.

One of my 2 worst bosses ever (mom and pop shop that somehow managed to get 3rd tier defense projects) handed out a package of $5 Walmart flashlights to everyone, after our machining department came in at nearly $30K under bid hours for the year's run of shipboard ordnance handling machinery. Yes, $30,000 EXTRA profit for the company, and $20 in flashlights for the guys who made it happen. I walked 7 months later.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

Christmas gifts this year = calendar from a supplier, bottle of wine from a grateful staff member and christmas drinks paid for by social club. No Christmas dinner, No family Christmas picnic. But we did get a newsletter (electronic) telling everyone how good the year was - 50% increase in turnover, increase in staff numbers...

Well, I actually ended up with a gift bag of cookies & chocolates from my direct boss plus a fairly high value Starbucks card. Completely out of the blue and unexpected.

I also got a mystery 'bonus' on my Dec 23rd direct deposit, neither my direct boss or his boss know what for! We have an incentive scheme and the value corresponds to one of the typical awards but I have no idea what specifically it's for.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

No direct monetary bonuses of any kind this year, but the company has been extremely generous in the past.

We had our worst year in decades and have already lost over 20% of our staff(about 50/50 between voluntary departures and RIFs).

We're still having our annual company party for about 60 staffers and their significant others with the company picking up the lion's share of the tab.

All in all, I'm very grateful.

They do an assortment of things at my company - free token gift, movie tickets. Our big bonus comes in March when they give us extra days pay. I think we'll get a bonus of 13 days pay (5% if you do the math) this year. Since I've worked a ton of overtime this year, it should be a good one.

We had bonuses of 3-12 percent of annual pay, plus an hour long contest to see who could make the best zombie killing weapon out of whatever was lying around (we are a fab shop). Then we tested the weapons in the parking lot on zombie heads made of produce. Best Xmas ever.

Well now I'm confused, not even my boss's, boss's bosss knows about the mystery bonus.

I shall now be keeping my head down hoping they don't ask for it back!

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Kenat: Your Mystery Bonus:

Possibly maxed out your 401(k), and the rest goes to your pocket...

What is the max on a 401k now? Something like $22k? Which saves you from $11k in taxes (Fedral, state, and local).

I think you can only max out your 401k if you live where the cost of living is much higher than what it is here.

401K max has been $16,500 since 2009.
It is raised in 2012 to $17,000.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back