Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chromite Sand 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

evan_z

Materials
Aug 25, 2016
US
Is anyone familiar with whether there are adverse effects of chromite sand getting back into molding sand in steel casting applications. This can be with either green sand or Airset molding?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How much would be in the system?
We used to cast in green sand and airset, some of our cores were Olivine (MgSiO).
It only made up about 3-5% of our sand by weight so we didn't see any effect.

Are there any chemical bonding issues with Chromite in either of your sand systems?
That would be my only worry.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Chromite sands are used in heavy section steel castings. Such castings have good surface finish and lesser defects.
Chromite sands are preferred for following reasons:
. High thermal conductivity
• Low thermal expansion
• Wetability resistance to molten steel
• Basic to neutral pH
• High melting point
• Broad sieve distribution

Green sand molding using chromite sands, I am not familiar, but they are used in Airset resin sand moulds. I recently saw a 3D printed sand mould using Chromite sand and Furan resin as binder.

"Even,if you are a minority of one, truth is the truth."

Mahatma Gandhi.

At the moment, we are looking into using chromite to address hot tears in some of our castings. I know that Chromite has a good effect on hot tears. My concern is that we have no way to separate it after casting and an unknown amount will end return into the molding sand. I read in one paper that when it gets heated, it can react with silica sand and alter the stability of the mold. I was just trying to find out if anyone had any experiences with this.

Did you try Zircon sand for reducing your hot tear problem. I have no such knowledge about reduction in properties of moulding sand due to contamination. Please share the reference for our understanding. Thanks.

"Even,if you are a minority of one, truth is the truth."

Mahatma Gandhi.

It would have be a significant fraction to have an impact.
I have never seen chromite in green sand either, but in airset and heat set it is not uncommon.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back