Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

chute design

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTPE

Structural
Jun 17, 2002
US
I am looking for information on design of a stepped chute to carry a bulk material discharged from a conveyor. How are the chute dimensions calculated knowing the material properties? I also know the chute angle.

The material is being discharged from a valve that has a discharge opening of 4sqft. Do I just match that area the whole way down? The chute is at a 50 degree slope with a stepped "rock box" bottom to reduce wear.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Also check the Conveyor Equipment Manufacturers' Association (CEMA) publications. They'll probably have something on it.

Your question about opening size depends on relative velocity. If the material will fall down the rock-box slide faster than it is coming off of the conveyor, it could actually be smaller than the 4 sq. ft. At the top of the chute, don't forget to figure in trajectory - you don't want the material hitting the top of your chute and wearing it out there...

If you "heard" it on the internet, it's guilty until proven innocent. - DCS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back