Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CIP problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cikiste

Mechanical
Feb 7, 2007
DE
Hi guys!

I have a problem related to the foaming generation in NaOH 2% storage tank inside of small CIP system.

The alkal based solution is heated on 80oC, and after cleaning procedure, the foam is generated inside of the tank.

Has anyone encountered this kind of problem?

Do you have any recommendation where to start to come up with the solution?

Regards,
Ian.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Guys,

I did ask my chemical engineer. Belive me or not, I didn't receive any answer except that it may be the pump issue (mechanical issue). He tought that the CIP pressure pump is maybe "too strong".

So, since I do not have experience with this kind of problem, I was thinking to ask engineers regarding possibility of corelation: foam - "too strong" pumps.

Did any of you experience this kind of problem?

Regards,
Ian

Dear Ian,Please consider that this is as a result of
1)Some material got Saponified thus generated foaming capability
2)There might have been some contaminants(paticulates etc.)picked-up by the caustic solution; thereby generating foaming conditions.
This should serve as strater best of luck.

Best Regards
Qalander(Chem)

Suggest you check your CIP system for compressed air devices which exhaust into the cleaned space or cleaning solution supply lines. You may be getting some oil carry over which will react with caustic to form suds.

Cheers

Steve

Dear group members,

I want to thank you for participating into this small discussion. I think that I finally found out the problems.

During raw milk separation process, some quantity of fat remained into the pipeline. In contact with caustic detergent, without proper rinsing, foam was generated.
But that was not the only problem. The one of the sealings of return pump was not tightened enough, so during recirculation, the air came into the solution. Combining both issues, foam was generated.

For now, we are dosing anti foam agent into caustic detergent tank.

I hope that this short email will help some of the members. Thank you all for support and taking part into discussion.

With kind regards,
Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back