Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CIP problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cikiste

Mechanical
Feb 7, 2007
DE
Hi guys!

I have a problem related to the foaming generation in NaOH 2% storage tank inside of small CIP system.

The alkal based solution is heated on 80oC, and after cleaning procedure, the foam is generated inside of the tank.

Has anyone encountered this kind of problem?

Do you have any recommendation where to start to come up with the solution?

Regards,
Ian.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NaOH is real good at turning fats into soap, and if that is what's happening, then you will have foam. But that is pure speculation, what is being cleaned out?

Good luck,
Latexman

Talk to Ecolab or one of the chemical suppliers for a foam knock out additive. I think alot of these are based on an oleic acid or something similar.

Mark Hutton

Guys,

The CIP is being used for raw milk process equipment cleaning. The piping between CIP plant and vertical storage tanks (50 m3 each) is DN50, and is 100 meters long.

With kind regards,
Ian

Milk is a natural emulsion with butter fat and milk solids stabilized by phospholipids (surfactant-like) and proteins. It has some foaming tendencies by itself. NaOH will saponify the butter and possibly other components, into surfactants, thus increasing it's foaming tendencies which you have found.

My first guess would be to try something else that does not saponify the butter as well as NaOH. Milk is slightly acidic, so I see why NaOH was tried first. I bet you can find a proven solution by networking with others in the dairy industry.

Good luck,
Latexman

I would Try to add a surfactant to the NaOH and if that doesn't help the foaming then I would add a anti-foaming agent. I would look at running an acid cleaner after the caustic cleaner. I would contact Dow about your problem as they have a bunch of suitable surfactants and antifoams.

In lieu of phosphoric acid cleaner I would take a look at Glycolic Acid from Dupont.

Both Dupont and Dow have outstanding technical support.

There are a lot of approved dairy cleaners, both acidic and basic, on the market you might want to look at them.

Dear group members,

I want to thank you for participating into this small discussion. I think that I finally found out the problems.

During raw milk separation process, some quantity of fat remained into the pipeline. In contact with caustic detergent, without proper rinsing, foam was generated.
But that was not the only problem. The one of the sealings of return pump was not tightened enough, so during recirculation, the air came into the solution. Combining both issues, foam was generated.

For now, we are dosing anti foam agent into caustic detergent tank.

I hope that this short email will help some of the members. Thank you all for support and taking part into discussion.

With kind regards,
Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back