Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CIRA Concrete Code 1920

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmendler

Structural
Jan 30, 2003
US
Does anyone here have a clue to what CIRCA is and were I can find a copy of it. To the best of my knowledge it is a Concrete Code, but no one seems to of heard about it.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe that the word "circa" means "approximately" or "around"....in other words, if you see the term

circa 1920.....it means around the year 1920.

After futher clarification with the client I believe you are correct in saying that they are looking for information on concrete design standards from the 20's. However in my research of things I can only go as far as the 50's. Any help please??

Contact the American Concrete Institute (ACI) or the Portland Cement Association (PCA), both should have some historical information for US codes.

All ready tried they only go as far as 56. I've got a guy sending information from CRSI which is suppose to have information on evaluation of reinforcing bars in old reinforced concrete structures.

jmendler,

I have the CRSI text your refer to (it is okay for the $10 purchase cost) but there is also a FREE Engineering Data Report #48 available in PDF format at CRSI ( ) . It covers similar stuff but no diagrams and plan drawings of the rebar/details of yesteryear.

You may have some fun with a 1920's building expecially if it was a flat slab. In the early 1900's there was great engineering debate about 2-way slabs without beams...C.A.P Tunner had a "mushroom reinforcement system" and there were other systems too like Kahn bars etc. But many were designed for much less than STATICS, like only 35% of statics yet they all withstood load testing.

Even upto ACI 318-1963 (not too long ago), it enabled you to design flat slabs for 80% of statics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back