Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Circuit board connector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

missinglink

Automotive
Jul 23, 2010
GB
Hello everyone,I been meaning to post a topic on here,not enough hours in a day with long working hours.
My question is regarding an 1980s Ford that has a trip computer,where at the back of the computer,a connector slides onto the PCB tracks. I'm hoping someone might be able to identify the type of connector. Or alternatively,perhaps an alternative type of connector can be added onto the pcb tracks,like a pitch connector?
thanks
Paul

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=5845c04d-1a4d-4cb7-a819-f3ff7e6b2c72&file=trip_computer_conn2.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That kind of connector - not so reliable, BTW - is called an Edge Connector. I got zillions of pictures when I googled that. You may find one that suits your board.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

Thanks ever so much Gunnar,that puts me right. @ Bill,didn't spot the electrics in the Automotive section,thought it was all mechanical[thumbsup2]

If you can't find the OEM part, you could just measure pin pitch and board thickness and go shopping. If the pin pitch is a standard 0.1" or something, then you could be in luck. Could be a bit hit and miss, but there's plenty of options to explore. You're unlikely to get a perfect match, but even if you had to leave some contacts hanging over, not use the backside connectors, or cut a slot in your board, it might get you out of trouble.

Take a look at:

Tyco Electronics - CROWN EDGE, Standard Edge, SEC-II. Probably not generic enough.
Tyco Electronics - AMP PACE. More generic but designed for connection to another board via through hole rather than to a wire.
CINCH - Edge Connector Commercial. Could be a winner - quite generic slots and they have to wire options.
EDAC - Series 306/316/356. Similar to CINCH. Difficultly will be finding stock somewhere without having to order a million.
AVX - Series 00-9159. A last resort perhaps - very generic edge connectors, but on the other end it's just another edge connector. You'd have to adapt from that to a wire interface.
Samtec - Didn't identify any particular series, but they have a huge range.

Failing all that, your idea about drilling holes and soldering in a different connector sounds perfectly feasible. With a decent template and a very steady hand, you could probably even do it by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back