Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Circuit Breaker Reclosing: Minimum time between operating duty cycles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Distribution73

Electrical
Mar 18, 2015
ES
Hello,
I can see that the standard duty cycle for circuit breakers is well documented and can be found for example on the breaker nameplate. However this standard rating appears to cover two closing operations. What is unclear to me is what happens when we reach the last "open" of the sequence. For example, if we have a breaker with a rated duty cycle "O-0.3s-CO-15s-CO" and we want to attempt an additional close (for example for a 3 shot reclosing scheme): Should we contact the manufacturer to see the minimum reclaim time? or Is this time between duty cycles standarized?
Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sort of depends on your device recharging time. The time it takes the motor to wind the spring, or equivalent. Some reclosers will change the tripping springs with the closing action. Some old reclosers used a coil connected across the line to close. Others used a drill motor to wind two sets of springs.
The newer reclosers maybe something different. But in most cases the recharging time is a few seconds at the most.

What maybe most concerning is the timing between open and closing, as if there is not enough time, the arc-plasma may not have dissipated, and the reclose will be unsuccessful.

I haven't seen a standardized time for a longer reclose sequence.

I had understood the duty cycle was related to thermal impacts, and that components may need a non-trivial amount of time to cool off before attempting additional reclose cycles. I am not sure if the current carrying parts or the accessories such as trip/close coils and charging motor are more thermally limiting.

Thank you very much for your feedback cranky108 and bacon4life.
Based on these replies and what I have read elsewhere I think that I will have to seek confirmation of the breaker capabilities from the supplier anytime I encounter a reclosing sequence that exceeds two shots.
Thanks again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back