Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Circuit Breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAFred

Electrical
Feb 20, 2002
US
Does anyone know where I could find a list of what circuit breakers are refered to such as a 52 device, 86 device 489 ect ect.

And what their purpose's are.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Circuit breakers are only 52 (unless you have a dc circuit breaker). The numbers come from ANSI C37.2, The IEEE Standard Electrical Power System Device Function Numbers and Contact Designations. You may purchase the standard from IEEE, you may also find summaries in many texts or references for power systems. The current version of the standard is from 2008, most summaries are probably from the 1996 version; most numbers remained the same but there are some variations.

Two of those are IEE device numbers. 52 is just a breaker. 86 is a lock out relay, it would prevent re-energizing the circuit after a trip until someone has cleared the cause and reset the 86 device.

489 is not an IEEE number, you would need to provide a context in which you saw a reference. For instance if it is in reference to a generator protection scheme, GE/Multilin, a very commonly used protective relay provider, has a Generator Protective Relay that is called a "489" relay.

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back