Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Circular Reference Error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakek

Mechanical
Apr 26, 2005
US
Here is the deal:

- I created an assembly with some “in context” parts, and some parts created and brought into the assembly.
- I created a drawing file for the assembly, with notes, dimensions, and a Bill of Material (solidworks style).

-Now I needed a similar assembly, so I did a Save As on the assembly (with new name).
-I added References (i.e. parts that would change and ALL “in context” parts), and changed their file names.

-Not wanting to redo the drawing file completely, I did a Save As on the drawing (changing the file name).
-I closed the drawing file, and reopened it using the Solidworks Explorer.
-I did a “Replace” and tried to change the reference file, to the new assembly file.

-When I did this I got an error message – "The file [my file name] cannot be used as a replacement because it would create a circular reference."

This is very frustrating when trying to use references. Please inform on the proper method to avoid this error.

Thank you. Have a great day.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

thread559-119624
thread559-105272
thread559-124571

Try a search using copy files for many others.

[cheers]
Making the best use of this Forum. faq559-716
How to get answers to your SW questions. faq559-1091
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of. faq559-520

Jakek

I use CopyProject as is mentioned in one of CBL's threads. I copy whole assemblies with all the associated models, sub-assemblies, and drawings being copied into a different location. I design tooling most of the time and to date I have not had any problems. I have to say that the file names have to be the same for the copying to work. Second, there is data limit to the amount that it will copy at one time, but you could do the sub-assemblies and create a new main assembly. I have tried it on some machines with no problem but some machines the main assembly file was too large to do it. I have been informed that the next version of CopyProject will solve this data limit and it should be out soon. I find it a great time saver for me plus, you can rename the files to the new name of the project at the same time.

Cheers,

Ralph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back