Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Circumferential Stress vs Longitudinal Stress 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HightyHo

Chemical
May 23, 2007
US
For use in Sect VIII UG-27. I have always used the formula for Circumferential Stress (long seams) to determine my MAWP and minimum required thickness for pressure vessels under internal pressure. When would I use the longitudinal stress formula? How do I know if longitudinal stresses are the governing factor? Thank you in advance for any advise!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Highty

You may use the longnitudual stress formula if your tank or vessel is subject to expansion and you need to consider
buckling, or to allow for a suitable expansion joint.

regards

desertfox

The longitudinal stress calculation would be governing if the joint efficiency of the circumferential seams is less than half of the joint efficiency for the longitudinal joints or the UG-22 loads result in an increase in the longitudinal stresses.

I reviewed over 3000 designs when I was employed with an AIA and I don't recall a single time where the longitudinal stresses goverend.

EJL

Just to be clear, it would be quite unusual for a longitudinal tensile stress to govern. Not at all unusual for a longitudinal compressive stress to govern the lower shell courses in a tower or the top part of a horizontal vessel in between the saddles.

jt

longitudinal stress may govern if the component operates at elevated temperatures (1100-1200 F) , has a butt weld, and the weld creep strength reduction factor is close to 0.5 , as with sa 335 P 122.

Thank you all for your insight. This is what i thought but was just making sure that the formulas i am using were correct again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back