Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cities with most RF Engineer jobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwingace

Electrical
Sep 3, 2007
US
I was wondering if anyone knew of what cities were best for RF/Microwave engineers? I prefer the defense field but any RF jobs would be good.

I know San Diego and California in general have a ton but my wife is opposed to move to the West Coast and wants to stay on the East Coast. We also would like the weather to be nice a majority of the year, we're sick of the snow and cold.

So, I guess I'm just wondering if anyone had suggestions of cities to look at in the Southeast?

What type of oppurtunies are there for RF engineers in cities like Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta, Nashville, Florida cities or whatever else?

I would like to have the ability to move around companies and stay in the same city the rest of my life if possible.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Anything around D.C. is probably a good bet. You not only have all of the major defense contractors in close proximity (so they can schmooze the politicians and line some pockets), but plenty of private firms also doing secure comm work (especially after 9/11). RF work galore!

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Regardless of what kind of job, I would suggest you use indeed(dot)com - a search database that mines all the other job databases.

As far as RF jobs, I would first suggest Atlanta, Orlando, and the Tampa Bay areas since there are multiple companies in each of these areas involved in RF or RF/Defense. Other places to check might be Huntsville, Charlotte, or the Knoxville/Oak Ridge area. There are other companies with needs for RF in the region you indicated, but second choices in some of these cities maybe non-RF electronics design.

Some of the companies involved with military software defined radio (SDR) projects would certainly benefit if they hired at least one old-school 'radio guy' to help them along. I witnessed one major (9-figure) SDR project where they made a couple of well-duh basic mistakes that any RF-guy would have seen coming a mile away.

If you can find the right job at the right company, you only need one. Might be an ideal opportunity to pick the city first, and then see if there are any suitable jobs there.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back