Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Civil Engineer Entrepreneurs 1

Brobocop

Structural
Dec 27, 2019
US
I think about breaking out on my own full time, often. I started my side engineering business in 2018, mainly servicing the residential market and some commercial. It's grown at a steady clip each year with 2024 being my best year yet.

Here's my conflict. I'm 35 with two kids. I have a good job at a major industrial company (Fortune 100). I do not work as a civil engineer here, and do not stamp anything for them (Why i started the side business).
I make good money (Total comp is $170k), have really solid benefits including a 9% 401k match, and great opportunity for growth within the business.

But I Have always felt like working for myself would be extremely rewarding. And to be honest, if it didn't work out, I could always just go get another job!

What was your journey like? How old were you when you started? How has it been going for you? Any regrets?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I was 31 when I went out on my own, after just welcoming a kid (I now have 2). I love it and would never look back.

As far as supporting your family, I calculated I only needed to make $100/day 5 days a week to support our family if my wife lost her job (we also had investment income coming in). I was making more than that with my business as just a side hustle before deciding to take the plunge. The big thing to have figured out is health insurance, but we were able to go on an ACA plan for next to nothing even with a decent income. We are now on my wife's insurance.

The perks of working for yourself though are better than any W2 job can offer. I work about 30 hours a week so I can spend more time with my kids, and I make significantly more now than I did 3 years ago (the first year was less as I built up a client base). I hire drafters as contractors from overseas, which keeps my labor costs low. They work while I sleep, which works really well for setting my own schedule. If there is a task that I do not like, I hire it out to contractors (Upwork.com has been good for this).
I have my parents and wife on my board so we can write off vacations as board meetings (we do have actual board meetings on these trips to justify it, not tax fraud). There are a lot of other tax benefits of working for yourself.

My only regret is I wish I would have chosen a better company name (what happens when you have a blog turn into an engineering practice). But that has not hampered me in any way.

I went out on my own at 31 as well.
I didnt have a kid at the time, but do have one now. I probably wouldn't have made the leap with a kid, it would have felt way too risky. Hell, i had so many sleepless nights, even though in hindsight, the outcome of failure would have been totally fine.

I'm so glad i did make the leap, in fact, I could never imagine having an ordinary job.
I do daycare drop offs and pickups, do a lot of early mornings with the kiddo, always there for dinner and bathtime/storytime.
I still manage to start work by 830/9, and finish usually by 530. sometimes i have to put an hour in after i put the kid to bed. but working from a home office saves so much time.

Also helps that after 5 years in business, i make about 5x as much money as i would, if i was working an ordinary job. with a cup of tea in hand, in my pajamas most days, from home. If you really have the competence and ability, you will likely never see your full potential working for someone else.

I went out at 34. My experience echos Lote's and North Civil.
I work 4 days a week and make 2-3 times what I would being employed and work 1/2 as hard.
Honestly, I could work one day a week at this point and live pretty nicely. The rest is going to my kids.

Back