Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Civil Engineering Undergrad here, question about summer internships.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojourner76

Civil/Environmental
Apr 28, 2015
US
Hey, y'all. I'm new to this space, and am looking for some education/career advice. I'm a sophomore level undergrad and have two options this summer for internships. I'm having trouble deciding which one I should choose, and assessing which one will give me the most benefit on my path.

The first is a mostly clerical internship with the city (San Francisco) public utilities commission. I'd be supporting the project management team, sitting in on meeting and maybe helping with some reports.

The second is a bio research internship at the state university, where I'd learn research methodology, and presentation, and gain lab skills working with yeast and zebra fish.

Both are paid.

What do you think?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hey, thanks for the replies.

My goal is to work in waste water treatment, which is why I thought the bio internship would be valuable. Also, in terms of gaining experience in research.

Like the others say, it depends on what you want to do when you graduate. But unless you specifically want to be a university researcher, then I'd recommend you go with the PUC. As a civil or environmental engineer, you'll be working with regulators all your career. The PUC position will give you an inside look into how regulators, and regulations, work. For a civil engineer (or even a citizen) that's more valuable experience.

To be honest, with the short time that you would be working, I doubt that the experience will be that useful. It would be a different scenario if you were on a co-op assignment.

For that reason, I would recommend that you go where you would make the most money and be least inconvenienced.

Your experience will be learning how business/government functions.

Whichever way you decide to go I would recommend that you try to talk with the other folks around the workplace & pick their brains about their recommendations for your next 5 to 10 years. What do they find interesting about their work? Ask them about their experiences. I would recommend doing this with EITs (graduated within 5 years), mid-careers, and a senior engineer in order to get a range of experiences. You will have an easier time convincing them by paying for lunch, but you will definitely make that back 10 fold over the years with the advice.

--morgwreck243

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back