Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Civil PE Review on CD-ROM...NSPE or ASCE?? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ENGMEDINA

Civil/Environmental
Jul 18, 2003
US
Hi everyone,
I'm going o take the PE exam next April 05 for the first time. Everyone that have taken the exam know that there are many sources to study from and too many references. I would like to buy a PE Review on CD-ROM? Which one, ASCE or NSPE? Is it worth it? Each CD-ROM is $545 members or $645 for non-members.
Thank you in advance.
ENGMEDINA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think they're actually the same thing. From the NSPE website: "In conjunction with the American Society of Civil Engineers and SmartPros Ltd., NSPE now offers a CD-based, multimedia Civil Engineering PE Exam Review Course."

I used it two years ago. Inadequate for structural, but it was almost all I needed for everything else. I really liked it. Like anything, it's not perfect; there a couple of mistakes and glitches here and there (maybe there's a new edition), and it was missing a couple of topics it should have had, but it got me ready for the morning portion of the exam very efficiently.

Hg

I do not feel like there is many sources for structural refreshers. For instance; CERM does not cover every necessary topic for the afternoon structural portion(timber, masonry, bridges, seismic), HgTX wrote that the ASCE PE Review CD-ROM was "inadequate for structural". I planning on buying that CD-ROM anyway. Everytime I ask a question about the CIVIL PE EXAM, the issue about the afternoon structural portion being more complex and broad than any other portion comes up. Brings me doubts about whether to take PM portion in Structural or something else?
Comments, suggestions?? anyone???

I dunno if anyone but me has been griping about the structural exam on Eng-Tips, but I will say that off-forum I've heard it from others. On the other hand, for the "don't listen to everything I say" side of things, read on...

As I've said before, my expertise (such as it is) is structural, and I took the geotech exam. Decided to do so two days before the exam, so didn't get to study like I would have wanted to, and still did very, very well. However, another guy in my office whose undergrad concentration was geotech, and who is no dummy, has now flunked the geotech exam twice.

Either this is an object lesson in test-taking skills, or else the moral of the story is you're probably screwed no matter what. Chin up!

Hg

ENGMEDINA - Last year I taught a review class to prepare for the Civil (Structural) PE Exam. The pass rate is very low compared with the other Civil disciplines. For the most part this seems to be the caused by the numerous and varied codes that cover reinforced concrete, structural steel, wood, and masonry, etc.

We used Lindeburg's "Civil Engineering Reference Manual" and his related "Practice Problems for the Civil PE Exam". The Reference Manual is about "as good as it gets" for review text. Frankly, I would not waste money on the Practice Problems volume - the problems offered seem too complex to accurately simulate the exam.

Other options to consider, in addition to your current plans, are:

Study Materials from the National Council of Examiners for Engineering & Surveying (the folks who prepare & grade the exams) -
"Six Minute Solution Civil PE Exam" Series - separate books for Structural, Geotechnical, Envionmental, Transportation, & Water Resources.
Go here - and search on "six minute solution civil" for more information.

Best Wishes on the exam.

I used Lindeburg's 3rd edition a few years back while the 6th was out and was able to pass the exam. I originally purchased MACGRAW-HILL for over 100 bucks and found that it was terrible. So definately go with Lindeburg if you can!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back