Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

civil site design - project management advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

entp

Civil/Environmental
Sep 24, 2006
US
Hi,

I have my PE, and experience that varies from civil site design to land development to water distribution. I'm considering a new position in civil site design. I have project management experience, but not in civil site design.

Any advice on where to read up or get information about civil site design project management, in order to make sure I don't miss anything if I take this job? I'd be the only civil engineer in a tiny company, so I won't have any coworkers to ask.

I'm going to start by renewing my ASCE membership and attending some meetings to see if I can talk to other civil site design project managers.

Any other ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Site Development Project Manager is not about PE's or knowing every aspect of the design it is about people skills and presenting your companies design to the planning commission. 80% of the work is production and 20% of it is the design where most public agencies already have set standards for you to follow. The engineering envolved in site development is minimal, thing you should brush up is in hydrology, tranportation design, and hydrualics. The biggest challenge is to stay focused on your clients needs and budget and stay organized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back