Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Civil-Structural PE in Louisianna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sema79

Structural
Apr 28, 2008
US
Hey everyone. I hope someone may know the answer my questions. What can a civil-structural P.E. stamp in Louisianna? What is the real difference between what an S.E. can stamp and what a civil-Structural P.E. can stamp?

The reason I ask is once I made a phone call to the Board of Engineers in Ohio and was informed that I could not stamp a structural design if I had not passed both the Structual I and II exams. I have a P.E. for another state but I took the Civil morning and Structural afternnon exam. According to Ohio I could get licensed in their state and legally stamp civil drawings (which I have no experience with) but not structural (which all my experience is in). I wonder which other states (particularly Louisianna) do this. I did get the vibe from the lady in Ohio that she would tell me anything to just get me off the phone.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check the actual law and rules of the board in each state in which you wish to practice...they are different.

In my home state (Florida), licensing is non-discipline related. Many states are changing to discipline licensing, with structural being a separate discipline from civil. For those states, the likely qualification is an S.E. (both S-1 and S-2 exams...or the new 2-day structural exam). In other states, the civil P.E. will suffice.

I was licensed for about 15 years in Louisiana. As I recall, I only did a couple of projects there, both structural. I was licensed there as a civil. I have not been licensed there in 3 or 4 years, so not really sure of the qualifications now.

I'm licensed in Ohio and have never heard of them having an SE requirement. In fact, even though I'm an SE in some states, I think I'm only a PE in Ohio and have done structural work there in the past.

But yes - check the Ohio board website and their laws.

Sounds reasonable to me...

In WA, you are first licensed as a Civil, and part of the one day test is a few of structural questions, along with a myriad of other disciplines. That lets you design structures to three stories, I believe. Could be off by a story on that.

The structural exam, though, was two additional days, and all structural, all facets, which allows you to design anything structurally that YOU are comfortable with in the State of Washington.

My first project was a high rise bird house.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

Ohio does not have discipline specific seals. I am a PE, there is not SE in Ohio. They have discussed going that way, but the wheels of government grind slowly.

The lady on the telephone was incorrect. In Ohio, as with many other states, we put the responsiblity upon the professional to design within their area of expertise and experience. So, if you are a PE and have only experience with structural design, it would be illegal for you to seal civil drawings (unfortunatley this provision is rarely enforced).

Thank you for the response everyone. OHIOMatt that is the reason why I posted on this forum. I knew I would get a answer from someone with first hand experience on the matter. My state operates in the same manner. I kind of got the feeling from the lady in Ohio that she didn't like being bothered by my questions and she probably wouldn't mind steering me wrong just to shut me up. Thanks again everyone!

She was probably confused by the fact that the 8 hour SE I is no longer offered.

To get licensed as a PE in Ohio you need to pass the 16 hour structural exam, OR you can pass an 8 hour discipline exam. Either will allow you to design and seal all manner of buildings. The limit of your practice is defined by your skill set and your ethics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back