Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Civil to Petroleum Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblaze5779

Civil/Environmental
Apr 10, 2006
US
I've got a BSCE and an MS Engineering Management with 6 total years of experience. 4 years have been in coal mining and land reclamation. I was also able to get my PE a few years ago. With the EPA's latest round of rules the future of coal in Texas isn't looking too bright.

I was thinking about trying to apply my skills to petroleum engineering jobs. Has anyone here done this? I have an offer for a facilities engineer job in Midland and am thinking of taking it. If I find the job enjoyable I would probably think about pursuing a MS in PE to further my career in the field. How difficult do you think it would be for me to succeed in the MS program without having had all the undergrad PE course?

I am a pretty quick learner and did well in my previous MS program which was completed through online study and distance learning.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am a civil engineer with my PE. I worked as a design engineer for 10 years, doing water main, sewer design, grading, etc. Nothing at all related to oil and gas. I then got a job with a natural gas pipeline transmission company. I probably didn't need a PE to get the job, and certainly not a Masters.

My advice is find jobs with producers or pipeline companies first. You can then get the experience and decide if you want the Masters. If you live in Texas then you are in luck. I'm sure there are plenty of jobs in that area for engineers. Try companies like Kinder Morgan, El Paso, TransCanada, Encana, Husky Energy. Also companies that serve that industry like TDW, GE, Shaw. There are lots of possiblities you just have to look around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back