Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

CJP Welds - HSS to Beam Flange

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngDM

Structural
Aug 10, 2021
CA
Having to specify a full strength weld for an HSS to beam flange. Strictly when looking at the weld, is there something I'm missing to make sure that the CJP weld is developped into the beam flange? For the HSS itself I'm speccing a single bevel with backer bar for the HSS (1/2" fillet is required otherwise for full strength), but is there a minimum thickness of beam flange I need to worry about when trying to develop a CJP?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you just worried about the weld, or the overall connection? Is this a full moment connection?

Aside from welding the HSS to the flange, I'm thinking you need to get the opposing side beam flange engaged with via plates tying the two flanges together.

JoelTXCive said:
Are you just worried about the weld, or the overall connection? Is this a full moment connection?

Moreso the connection, but the weld in particular. They are calling for full strength connection (would have preferred they give me loads).

JoelTXCive said:
Aside from welding the HSS to the flange, I'm thinking you need to get the opposing side beam flange engaged with via plates tying the two flanges together.

EOR has specified stiffners to tie the flanges together. Beam itself should be okay for any sort of local failure, but I'm just worried about burnthrough among other things when they prep the CJP.

Is this a WF beam to the face of an HSS column, or a WF on top of an HSS column, or a cross-shaped connection with the WF welded into the radius of the HSS? Or something else entirely?

JLNJ said:
Is this a WF beam to the face of an HSS column, or a WF on top of an HSS column, or a cross-shaped connection with the WF welded into the radius of the HSS? Or something else entirely?

HSS down to WF top of flange, think T-connection.

EngDM said:
They are calling for full strength connection (would have preferred they give me loads).
SIGH.

There was somebody around here that suggested that EOR who do that should be catapulted into space.

It boggles the mind that so many connections get overdesigned due to the laziness of EOR's on this. Especially when connections are often over half the cost of steel fabrication. Here we do our own connection design rather than outsourcing it, and I make every effort to design efficient connections.

human909 said:
Here we do our own connection design rather than outsourcing it, and I make every effort to design efficient connections.

I could be wrong, but I think our association prohibits one EOR performing too much of the work. For instance, connections are always by the supplier. Any misc metals is by supplier. Sometimes we get permission from the owner to do the steel studs but usually those are by supplier and they get their own EOR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back