Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Clamping force equations for this piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodguy1405

Mechanical
Aug 20, 2013
US
Does anyone know how I would calculate the clamping force of this piece? It is Stainless Steel.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is there a picture of this piece?.

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

Sorry the picture doesn't have any dimensions and only one view I have no idea what your showing us.

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

Ah Right its a shaped spring, so what are the material properties or grade of material?
What deflection of the clip are you looking for and what force do you require?

It is a stainless steel material (the shaped spring). I am not sure what deflection I am needing or force. I want it to be about the same force of a potato chip clip. I cannot find anything about potato chip clip force or deflection online. Thanks for all your help

hi

Well you need to calculate the stiffness of the spring first off with the dimensions you have, WR Berry's book on spring design has a very good graphical method of calculating the stiffness of springs similar to the one you have posted.

Once you have the stiffness you need to get your deflection and force sorted and then you can select a appropriate material.

Hi

try googling the book on line it should be fairly cheap to buy but you might get a free preview.

how critical is this to know ? can you build it and measure the stiffness ? maybe build a prototype test piece ??

how critical is spring force ? 10% tolerance, 1% ?

are the parts very reproducible, or will you need to test and modify each one to get the result you need ?

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back