Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clamps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No.

I've seen them called Avdel clamps, a few permutations of that, and a few other things I don't recall right now, but not hose clamps.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

hmm.. I was thinking just the circular strip with a latch? like a vband clamp without the retainer part

There are hose clamps that look like a v-band clamp without the v-shoes.
They're called hose clamps, not strap clamps.
Voss has a website, and produces catalogs for both.

The clamps that I call strap clamps have the general shape of the letter 'd', or occasionally 'D', and are typically used to attach round things like tube to flat things like frames or stringers, and are often cushioned.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I have heard those wretched things that you wind tight with a pair of duckbills, and "secure" with a thumbscrew, referred to as "strap clamps".

The cushioned "d" clamps (MS21919-XX) I've always referred to as "Adel" clamps.

Ok then. Is there any type of clamp where you just rivet 2 latches on a circulart part about 1 inch apart, and tighten/clamp (maybe a duct) them together with a tbolt?

Sort of. The clamp I saw was similar to that, but not fully circular loop. Imagine that tbolt clamp you linked, but only up to where the rivets attach the latch. Is there such clamp? Make sense?

The t-bolt clamp noted by TTF is commonly used for turbo hoses, and for marine exhaust hoses, which are often made of silicone. The band overlaps itself so as to provide uniform compression of soft hoses like silicone, which don't like being pinched.

A similar band, equipped with 3 or 4 v-section shoes on its inner face, is used to secure "v-band" joints, found on marine and aircraft exhaust plumbing.

Joining the t-bolt parts to the band is not something you would want to do in the field. You need very high quality spot welds, or complicated end prep of the bands. My crew has occasionally shortened Voss clamps by cutting and welding, but it's not for the faint of heart; it's the sort of thing you do at 3AM when the boat sails at 7AM, and order a proper replacement as soon as you can.

There is something even simpler, sort of. To use "Band-It" clamps, you unroll stainless or aluminum strap from a roll, lace it through a special 'buckle', fold the end over, then use a not terribly expensive special tool to grip the tail of the strap, pull it hard while bearing on the buckle, then cut off the excess strap and fold it over within the buckle, making a _permanent_ hose clamp of any size. They work something wonderful, but are not reusable after removal.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Yeah, the 'toggle overcenter' bolt is, in Voss lingo, a 'quick release' bolt.
They are available on most clamp series, if you buy enough of them. Saves a bit of wrenching, at the expense of some space.

Yes, the v-band clamps were originally associated with what is now Aeroquip/Marman, which still produces them. ... as do others.

I have found Voss easy to deal with for specials.
Your circumstances may differ.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

disb, look at my post from dec 7; seems to me, the difference in my link's photo, and yours, is that the threaded fastener (or nut) has not been tightened down in "my" photo, and it has in yours.

I was referring to the circular part of the clamp, not the fastener part. Hope that makes better sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back