Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clarification on Camber

Status
Not open for further replies.

younglearner

Military
Sep 30, 2003
JP
I drew up three different unequal length A-arm suspension on CAD and attempted to find out the differences and how each one of them gains camber. I write this post only because I wish to see if my observations were correct.
I'm guessing that the changing camber is based upon the ratio between upper and lower A-arms and how they affect the length of the swing arm.
I'm guessing, after having graphed it, that since the graph of swing arm vs. degrees of suspension travel turns out to be a hyperbola that the eccentricity of the hyperbola for a given suspension is a good judgement on how much camber a suspension will ultimately gain and how broad in a sense the camber peak will be.
I had to state from scratch on this one since my books are back in the states and I am currently overseas. Any help in setting me on the right path would be greatly appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you are ignoring the angle of the arms at the design position.

To be honest I can't really understand your terminology, I'm not sure that you can really describe a given camber curve as just a single figure, and I've not seen anyone attempt to do so before.

For a given lower arm length, assuming at design it starts parallel to the ground, then there are 4 unique properties of the upper arm to consider, all of which will affect the camber curve to some extent, so I would expect your results to need 4 numbers to quantify them. If you also want to change the lower arm then that adds another two parameters to the mix.

Cheers

Greg Locock

The only way I evaluate a suspension system is to use William C Mitchell's Racing by the Numbers software. It tells you what you want and much much more.

Greg has a good point regarding the initial positions of the control arms. Take a look at this table to clarify.

Camber_change_scenarios.jpg

MarkEE,
I would also like to evaluate Racing by the numbers. Could you place it somewhere so it can be downloaded?

Thanks,

Joest

Joest,

I have a Zip file 940 KB it is a dos based program. I can attach it to an e-mail or if you have any other suggestions?

MarkEE

For anyone having trouble seeing the image I posted, it can be displayed by right clicking on the broken link icon and selecting "show picture". I'm not sure why it doesn't load up automatically since it works perfectly when the url is accessed directly.

MarkEE, I have no problem getting the file emailed to me. Here is a link to my address.

Cheers

Joest

I'm not sure what the problem is with the link. When the address is copied and pasted into a browser it opens. The same is happening with the image file I linked to. Geocities must have some very shady service. My email is also accessible by going to the FAQ section for this forum and opening the one I have posted. The email address is at the beginning of the post. After you get the address I will edit the post and remove the address. Sorry about the hassle. Thanks.

-Joest

geocities don't allow external referencing of images on their site.

therefore in order to see it we have to visit the geocities site directly.

The easiest way to do that is to right click on the red cross,look at properties, copy the address shown into 'open link' and bob's your uncle.

Nice diagram by the way, but there is a mistake in the third one down, the camber curve is inverted.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back