Not open for further replies.

petro84

Mechanical
Feb 7, 2012
IR
hi every body
I have a question about following interpretation of ASME B31.3
Interpretation: 15-23
Subject: ASME B31.3-1996 Edition, Table 323.3.1, Impact Testing Requirements for Metals
Date Issued: October 30, 1996
File: B31-96-044
Question: In accordance with ASME B31.3-1996 Edition, when qualifying welding procedures
which require impact testing, is the thickness range qualified to T/2 to T +6.4 mm rather than the range
given in ASME Section IX, QW-403.1O?
Reply: Yes, provided the criteria and thickness limits specified in ASME Section IX, para. QW403.10
are not exceeded. See ASME B31.3, Table 323.3.1, box A-5.

now I will ask for clarifying by choosing two sample:
if we need impact test and use GMAW (short circuit)
then:
1) if sample thickness is 12 mm then which one will be the qualified thickness of our PQR:
a) T/2 to 1.1 T which will be 6mm to 13.2 mm
b) T/2 to T+6.4 mm which will be 6mm to 18.4
2) if sample thickness will be 14mm which one will be the qualified thickness of our PQR:
a) T/2 to 2T which will be 7mm to 28mm
b)T/2 to T+6.4mm which will be 7mm to 20.4mm
please answer the question first by choosing the right answer for example 1-a or 1-b then make description of your choice.
thanks for your consideration

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear metenger
Iam speeking about range of Qualification for Welding Procedure specification. Our welding Process is Short circuit GMAW and impact test is required. As you know and stated in QW-403.10 in Qualifying a PWPS for short circuit GMAW, the qualified thickness of base metal is up to 1.1 thickness of test Coupon for thickness below 13 mm. and our design Code for piping system is ASME B31.3 and as showed below it is obvious that when impact test is necessary then T/2 to T+6.4 mm is preferred to criteria of ASME sec IX.I believe I know my answer but my friend insist on something else that's why I have started this thread and the main problem refer's to this statement: "provided the criteria and thickness limits specified in ASME Section IX, para. QW403.10 are not exceeded. See ASME B31.3, Table 323.3.1, box A-5"
Interpretation: 4-17
Subject: 327.5.Hd) and 327.5.2
Date Issued: January 29, 1986
File:B31-85-031
Question (1): When qualifying welding procedures which require impact testing, is the basic
qualified thickness range Y2t to t + Y. in. rather than the range given in Section IX of the ASME Boiler
and Pressure Vessel Code of the lesser of S/8 in., and t to 2t as in QW-403.6 (where t is thickness of
test coupon)?
Reply (1): Yes.

Thanks for your time.

pedro84;
Your answer to the above requires comparing the impact qualification requirement for thickness based on Section IX and B31.3. If you have B31.3, review the table and compare the maximum thickness range with Section IX. Since ASME B31.3 is a construction code, the maximum thickness limit will take precedence over Section IX. Section IX is not a construction code it is a service-based code and as such does not dictate design rules for construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back