Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clarke Transformation

Status
Not open for further replies.

450x

Electrical
Mar 14, 2006
CA
Hi
I am reading into the Clarke transformation that is used to convert the 3 phase stator currents into a two dimensional orthogonal system for field oriented control of ac motors. The equations are shown below.
isα = ia
isβ = (1/√3)*ia + (2/√3)*ib
I cannot find any literature that shows how this transformation was derived.
Where
isβ isβ, = New transformed current vectors
ia = Stator current phase a
ib = Stator current phase b
Can anyone point me in the right direction (no pun intended)?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try the original paper "Determination of Instantaneous Currents and Voltages by Means of Alpha, Beta, and Zero Components." It's available from IEEE Xplore Digital Library.

xnuke
"Live and act within the limit of your knowledge and keep expanding it to the limit of your life." Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Just realized the answer: it's a change of basis problem in linear algebra, with the original basis given by {(1,0), (-1/2, -[√]3/2)} as defined by the original A and B phasors, and the new basis given by {(1,0), (0,-1)} as given by the [α] and [β] phasors. The transformation matrix is [1, 0; 1/[√]3, 2/[√]3].

xnuke
"Live and act within the limit of your knowledge and keep expanding it to the limit of your life." Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

That sounds like the right idea to me, although I haven't checked it.

Krause's textbook has a good writeup on transformations in general - presenting a general transformation where Park, Clark and the rest are just special cases.

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back