Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Class 3A thread... Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

supergee

Aug 15, 2012
CA
Hi,

I love when students challenge me. I was teaching student about threading, and how Class 3 has a tighter tolerance than class 2 and even more than class 1.

I told them that class 2 is generally what is used but aerospace and other industries need tighter toleances, hence class 3.

A student asked me why is it better? If the screw is correctly tighten (right elongation) since the thread is acting like a cone so it should not move radially. why do we need Class 3??

I can't answer. at least, not with some reliable source. Can you help pretty please with sugar on top.

Gee

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Slightly more radial engagement and slightly more uniform loading down the spiral. No one wants to say "We saved $1 on the fastener that failed and led to a crash by using a less precise thread."

Huh? "Class" typically refers to the hole tolerance, not the threads. Class 1 is the tightest tolerance and typically used for composites. (well, actually interference fit is tighter than Class 1, and is used for fatigue critical metal joints). Class 3 is a sloppy hole for removable panels.

This question would be better asked in the Aircraft Engineering forum (there are mostly Civil Structures types here).

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

3DDave said:
Slightly more radial engagement and slightly more uniform loading down the spiral. No one wants to say "We saved $1 on the fastener that failed and led to a crash by using a less precise thread."

When you say "slightly" do you mean the difference is slight yet significant or is it negligeable?

The class 3 may give you a little more clearance for HDG, etc.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

3DDave said:
If it was negligible there would not be a separate class.

I really feel stupid asking this question... I'm going to put it on the account of me teaching 7 hours of lecture in one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back