Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Class A: Alias/ICEm settings vs. real outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilea

Automotive
Sep 22, 2004
SE

Wondering whether surface analysis (coloured grading of curvature) in Alias and ICEM correspond to real outcome in tooling?

Recomended settings vs. milling/polishing tolerance?
Are we being to concious about virtual curvature? (A lot of work can be saved here...)

If coated, does paint add or smoothen uneveness?

/Gilea

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi HDS,

I basically have an interest in 3 of them: steel sheet forming, alu sheet forming and injection moulded, all coated. A detail such as a front fender could work as an example.

Still, a connection between more methods (inj mould patterned vs. glossy, RIM, and even textiles) and achieved accuracy would help a lot in our daily work.(soft chairs are often modelled today with even surfaces for some reason)

/Gilea

In automotive work the areas affected by changes in curvature can be large and are hard to fix by polishing. If it is a small area it can be done but a fender is probably too big. Painting will usually make the part shinier and the problems bigger. Texture can hide your problems if it is deep enough and the plastic dull enough.

I know what you really want is the numbers to look for but I don’t have any to give you.

Hi again,

thank you for the info.

The reason for raising this question is that we made a comparison with a voxel modeller (Freeform) which can export in NURBS-based surfaces, which were analyzed in Alias. Time spent in voxel modelling i one third compared to surfacing...

The same geometry was made in Alias and compared. Using "zebra stripes" analysis, no difference was detected!

However, when colored fields were applied a difference was detected in favor of the Alias surfaces. So, is "zebra stripes" accurate enough?

/Gilea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back