Class I, Division 2, rated accesories inside of typical NEMA 4X enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

trolex

Mechanical
Aug 23, 2014
PE
Hi eveyone,

I would like to receive some advice on a particular issue I have with a Control Panel .

I need to provide a Control Panel with a PLC and HMI in an enclosure.

The point is that it is for a Hazardous Location: Class I, Division 2, Group D.

If it's possible to use a NEMA 4X enclosure UL 508 listed but using all elements inside/outside the panel rated for Class I, Div 2? (PLC, HMI, Relays, wiring made of anti flame (flame retardant))

Would it make it safe? It is correct? It's actually possible?

For other considerations, a purge system is not possible to use since there is not pressurized air available in the zone

I would like to use a NEMA 7 enclosure but I am having problems finding a way to use the HMI in the enclosure.

Other considerations: PLC is Allen Bradley Compact Logix and 7" HMI Panel View also from Allen Bradley.

Considering this limitations, what are your thoughts on using a NEMA 4X enclosure with all the elements rated correctly for the hazardous location?

If you know a way to use and put and HMI in a NEMA 7 enclosure I am happy to hear your suggestions.

I appreciate any kind of help and also hope this is the correct place to locate this thread.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My quick thoughts: I don't think you can use a 4X enclosure - this is dust tight and water tight, not gas tight. This wouldn't be allowed by the NEC. You have to use an explosion proof panel or pressurized. You can also use IS components and proper wiring techniques and/or nonincendive circuits, equipment and components.
We have explosion proof panels with HMI's and PLCs. We use a knob (page turner) to change the pages on the HMI. However, we use the 1756 controllers.
You should review the NEC article 500 and 501. There is a lot of information in there and descriptions of what you can do and can't do.

Thanks buzzp for your answer.

I will check the NEC articles you mentioned for my reference.

I am interested in the solutions you have used for PLC+HMI in a hazardous location. This knob thing and stuff.

Can you give me more details about it? I read something about it but proper HMI has to be selected since not all HMI can reference PLC trough a pointer register. Or something like that. I am needing a solution and a quote as well so I am also looking for some companies that can do this. If you can give me more detail I'd appreciate it.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back