Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Classification of Peat Between Different Perspective 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnz2006

Geotechnical
Aug 23, 2006
US
Hi,

I am now working with research in peat. I am confussing because I read there a many classification of peat in different countries and different profesion. Is there any standard can I use? Thanks you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

BS5930 is the Code of Practice for Site Investigation in Britain and there is a comprehensive section on soil descriptions including how we characterise peat in this country. I understand that all BS manuals are be replaced by Eurocode by 2011.

Probably the best book is the old standard from Canada (National Research council) - it not only is a great book on peat but has pictures to boot! I was able to find the references:

MacFarlane: Muskeg Engineering Handbook, University of Toronto Press, 1969.
MacFarlane: Guide to Field Descriptions of Muskeg, Technical Memorandum 44, National Research Council, Canada. 1958.

The best starting work on muskeg (peat) was by these Canucks in the 50s and 60s!

The Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology, Mires and Peats, Volume 19, No1. 1986, gives a excellent overview of different classification systems.

I would suggest the Von Post classification system. (Also see "Smart, P. 1986: Classification by Texture & Plasticity. Geological Society of London.Engineering Geology Special publication 2 in proceedings of the 20th Regional Meeting Engineering Group, Guilford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back