Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clathrate Hydrogen Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

DubyaDee

Chemical
Oct 13, 2003
US
I read an article this week about storage of hydrogen in clathrate hydrates (ice crystals). The process requires 2,000 - 3,000 atmospheres of pressure (30,000 - 45,000 psi) and very cold temperatures (-196 C). The compound also has to be stored at -133 C to prevent it from releasing the hydrogen. The researchers at the University of Chicago claim this is a feasible production method to store 5 weight percent hydrogen for fuel cells.
I know there is a significant amount of methane in the bottom of the ocean stored in clathrate hydrates but this new study seems like only a demonstration of laboratory equipment capability. How can this study be of any commercial value? Pressurized storage of 10,000 psi at ambient temperature is difficult to attain, let alone 45,000 psi at -133 C.

A world record has been set at 11.3% by weight hydrogen storage, this was done in a carbon fibre wrapped pressure vessel at 10,000 psi. here is a link

the wOW!! factor of hydrides is certainly not there weight ratio but there ability to absorb hydrogen at densities higher than pure liquid hydrogen itself. But will always be too heavy for any road transportation applications. Power to weight ratio thing. but hydrides do have applications for marine purposes such as a tanker delivering a hydrogen supply for whole country. Or even rail transportation. I am not familiar with the hydride info so I simply suspect that the 5% hydrogen by weight ratio, makes it the best hydride around?? and hence that tanker would be heavier if other hydrides where used, and hence the boat would sit deeper in the water causing more drag and a larger expense of energy to get from a to b. that kinda thing.

If you back through this very forum you will see good arguments against the use of hydrides for they like most usefull hydrogen storage require energy input before you get anything back, I dare say you will spark another, 45,000 psi requires a LOT!! of compression energy. Do you have any links??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back