Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cleaning EPR

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMD

Electrical
Nov 8, 2001
I've seen a variety of products recommended for cleaning EPR cable insulation prior to installing stress control sleeves. Anybody have any personal best recommendations? Or products that are recommended by others but are best avoided?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Trichloroethylene works fine. Its the only solvent of its kind that I am aware of that wasn't banned by the Montreal Protocol. We currently pay about $700 per 55 gal drum. My experience with it for this application goes back to the mid 70s and I've not seen any problem with it when used for EPR or XLPE.

Im with busbar. My company uses raychem kits for terminations and splices. Each kit comes with cleaning material (sand paper, wet wipe and a dry wipe). The sand paper is used to get the insulation clean of any semicon that might of sticked to the insulation or got push into the insulation by a knife. The wet wipe is polywater and is used to cleans the insulation. We did use Trichloroethylene in the past, see the site for fact about it. Its nasty stuff.

Avoid anything with 1,1,1, Trichloroethane in it. The industry got away from this stuff years ago. The Raychem kits contain Polywater's cleaners. So either company's kits will do.
Most importantly, wipe from the concuctor back to the semicon, not the other way. These cleaners will track the semicon onto the insulation and you don't want that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back