Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cleaning Iron from Softener Resin

Status
Not open for further replies.

jartgo

Civil/Environmental
Oct 20, 2005
US
I have a softener that is fairly new and was fouled with iron during the plant startup process. The iron is being removed before the softeners at this point, but the capacity of the resin for hardness removal has been diminished due to iron fouling.

That said, I'd like to try cleaning the resin with a product such as "iron out", but am having trouble finding any information on a suggested dosage or application for a one time cleaning for these 48 inch vessels. I guess what I'd like to see is a dosage based on cubic feet of resin, perhaps. Anyone been through this exercise before?
Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In addition to one time cleaning you want to use Rust Out/Iron Out with every regeneration.
Iron is difficult to clean from resin. Using resin cleaner at low levels in every regen and also making sure you are salting correctly makes a big difference.

We try and low salt, 4-7 lbs of salt per cubic foot of resin with most city water.
But when there is iron present 12-18 lbs of salt per cubic foot is often required to get the iron to ion exchange out of the resin.

Dan Saltsburg
Big Brand Water Filter

Dan, just to clarify, the iron is regularly being removed before the softeners. However, during plant startup, iron-laden water was sent straight to the softeners for some period of time, thereby fouling the resin.

It is not customary (where I practice) to either use softeners for iron removal, or to regularly dose them with iron out. Of course this is routinely done in a single-home residential setting, but doing so in a municipal environment (for anything other than very low levels of iron) would be extraordinary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back