Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

cleaning ss

Status
Not open for further replies.

renzon

Aerospace
Mar 20, 2008
US
What is the best way to clean stainless? We have 5 EB welders that need constant cleaning; right now I am in a battle with the weld supervisor because he has the welders clean the chambers with scrapers and steel wool, while I prefer fine sand paper on a high speed grinder. The finish between the two is dramatically different; with the hand scrappers you leave the tinitrate deposits on the chambers while the grinders leave a bright shine. Any other ideas that I may be able to toss in? We can't use a pickling solution because of the electrical inside but maybe there is something else.

Also has anyone had any luck cleaning lead lined glass??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Really we can use whatever we want as long as it won’t interfere with the electronics or cause harm to the vacuum pump or diffusion pump. As far as scotch bright is considered we have used it in the past but it’s hard to clean the deposits off the chamber walls. Our largest chamber is 6ft sq and cleaning that by hand with a scrapper or scotch bright is useless. as for the link you had that looked like something you could use on a drill, i've tried wire brush attachments for corners and tight spots which helps but the best is defiantly 120 and higher grit on the high speed grinders. It’s a dirty job but there is a huge difference in finish. Hand held tools of some sort are about the best we can use inside.

Here is another product, flap wheel, in same line as those posted above that you may fine will do the job as it's a lot more aggressive. We run all these product in air powered die-grinders.

Here is another product that might be of interest.

if you have room for scraping and such can you use something like "jitter bug" type sander with the proper abrasive. This is one several types of sanders used around an auto repair/paint shops.

One of many types of palm sanders.

I like the jitter bug idea; I may have to look for an electric one since we don’t have any air lines running inside the weld lab.

How about the lead lined glass? I was thinking of taking it and polishing it on our metallurgic turntables. We can go from 220 grit down to 1 micron diamond. Has anyone worked with this form of glass??

Are your wire brushes stainless?. Iron contaminants could be transferred if you are using regular wire brushes which would prevent good passivation.

You need to keep a good surface finish in your equipment. Sctchbrite flap wheels are a very good choice.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Yea our wires are stainless and surface finish on the weld chambers is super important. The cleaner the weld chambers the faster they pump down to vacuum which equals more parts. I have argued that we should give a very good cleaning at least once a month and if they want to give it a half decent scrapper clean every other week I would agree. But they stainless inside needs to be cleaned more often and better.

My approach is a little different so bear with me.
This sounds like an opportunity for some Reseach and Design.
A machine robot could be designed to do all your cleaning on the automatic cycle. Many small brushes all working together is not impossible today.
The University of Washington State (and many others) has a programs for students doing R&D.
I am sure they would like to hear more about your problem.
Anvilhartyhole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back