Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cleaning v5 models

Status
Not open for further replies.

phodge

Mechanical
Oct 23, 2003
SE
When developing a part in V5, is there any way of cleaning up the final model, getting rid of unnecessary geometry and construction elements and therefore reducing the final model size? In V4 I used the KEEP function, is there anything similar in V5?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

While in the Generative Shape Design (GSD) workbench, go to the Tools pulldown menu and select Delete Useless Elements. Be aware that it will try to remove ALL useless elements like points and centerlines created from holes but not used for anything else.

Ken.

Arkangel,
I tried what you said but when I go to the tools menu that option is not there. I am at v5r10, what are you on? This seems to be a useful tool if I could figure out how to use it.

hi,

You should go in the Generative Shape Design Workbench. This function is not available in PartDesign nor WireFrame and Surfaces...

Eric N.

catiav5@softhome.net

Another way to run Delete Useless Elements, regardless of what workbench you're in, is to use View + Commands List... and then select it from the long list of commands.

I've had mixed results in using it, as it cleans up (deletes) too much geometry. I'd suggest you save your part before you run it, so you can always go back if you have to.

Anybody else have problems with it?

....Jack

Hi Phodge and All,
V5 is having one utility as "CATDUA" for cleaning of the model. To use it, click File>>Desk this will activate one tree structure of the current model. MB3 (Right click) on the appropriate stage. In contextual menu you will get "CATDUAV5" .It will give one window of CATDUAv5 from there you can check or clean the part

Regards,
Rahul Bonde

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back