Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CLEAR COMPOSITE MATERIAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

xom1

Mechanical
Feb 18, 2006
US
We would like to build a few items in our facility out of a clear composite matting or plastic of some kind. I have experience in laying up fiberglass and carbon matting but am not familiar with a clear material. It would have to be structural to some degree. Is anyone familiar with a material that fits the bill? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

xom1 (Mechanical)
You do not say whether or not you would like to use epoxy or polyester material and what degree of transparency you would like to have.
However I have had some success with using clear casting resin ( polyester) and chopped strand mat. This provides a translucent material that is almost clear enough to see through. This works best with vacuum bagging because the resin is very low viscosity and has a tendency to run out before curing if open mold laminating is used.
B.E.

I am actually not constrained by material choice at all. We would like some degree of transparency and had considered fiberglass. Are there any other plastic materials that we could lay up with?

I doubt the term "lay-up" is suitable here.
If you use cloth, then you eventually see the fibers in that cloth - especially if you have several layers.
A possible alternative is to use a very low fiber content prepreg for the first ply, with transparent matrix, and then just add more matrix to build up a relatively transparent body.

It's more a trial and error method, and I doubt it will hold any forces, so I assume it's a decorative piece - not functional.

Just a thought - matching the densities (well, refractive indexes) of the fibres and matrix might help. There are polyester fibres available which are a lot less dense than glass. Depends a bit on how stiff, etc., you need it.

Does it *have* to be a composite?

The wetout properties of the reinforcement/resin will be critical. All you have to do is look at laminate made with chopped glass with too much starch on the fibers and compare that to a roving that has no starch and wets out almost invisibly.

There are some transparent resin systems, no solid fillers. The use of glass Fiber, e=glass with a special sizing causes them to be semi-tranparent. Cycom E293 with 7781 fabric provides a greenish tint and semi-transparent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back