Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CLICK and HOLD and gO nUtZ.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

phlyx

Mechanical
Nov 25, 2003
US
When I am working in a sketch in SolidWorks 2004 and I am drawing anything such as a line or circle, if I click once and then move my mouse and click again I complete the operation. OR if I click and HOLD the mouse button, move the mouse and then let go it also completes the operation. The problem is if I click the mouse button and slightly move the mouse while I am letting up on the button I get a very small circle or line segment. Then I have to delete this small entity and do the operation again. Is there *ANY* way to turn off the hold feature so the ONLY way it creates an entity is if I click the mouse button to start the sketch operation and then click it again to finish???? This click and hold is driving me cRaZy.

p2.gif
~ Phlyx ~

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The settings for my mouse can't change how quickly my finger lets up from the button. The problem is I have my mouse movement set VERY senstive to save my wrist but because of that it takes very little physical mouse motion to move the pointer. If I move my mouse every so slightly while I click down and before I release I get a short line segment or small diameter circle (depending on the command). I would much rather just be able to totally disable the feature that allowes me to hold the button and finish the command by releasing it. Really confusing to getting into that "automatic" mode having two different ways to do the same thing.

p2.gif
~ Phlyx ~

You can't disable that feature. All you can do is turn down the senstivity, or get used to what your doing.

I always hold down the mouse. I pick the point and drag a circle to a crazy distance then RMB\Dimension and add a dim to the sketch.

Quick and easy.

You should look at getting a trackball. That will save your wrist. I have been using mine for years and love it. My wrist doesn't bother me anymore.

I have this trackball but and older version - They look the same just mine is for bigger hands.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [santa3] [americanflag]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

I smashed the bones in my right hand slipping with a wrench and punching an engine block years ago and got a track ball because my thumb was the only thing free of the cast. I just can't go as fast as I can with a mouse. Optical mouse for me. I can recall using a SummaSketch and my right hand kind of got a mind of it's own and I didn't have to think about what it was doing picking commands. I just can't get into that routine with SW because of the click-and-hold option. :O(

p2.gif
~ Phlyx ~

Look in Help under arcs - tangent - autotransitioning.

In brief - if you move the cursor off the end of the first line then back while holding down the mouse button, you get a tangent arc next time instead of a line. The preview indicates this. In your special circumstances I understand the mouse sensitivity problem.

HOWEVER!!!! There is a fix. If you get a arc preview, just hit the "A" key to toggle back to a line. (In fact you can toggle both ways.)

Be naughty - save Santa a trip.

I've been having sore wrist/forearm and sensitivity problems, too, especially when trying to hold the mouse stationary while clicking a button. One thing that seems to be helping is a Roller Mouse that has a set of buttons, scroll wheel and roller-slide positioner all located below the spacebar AND a port for a second mouse. I use a conventional mouse for fine positioning work and hit the buttons on the roller mouse using my left hand. This way I don't have to do both positioning and poking with the same hand. This seems to reduce the stress in the right hand a lot. It takes awhile to change habits and I still have to rest my wrists on something to get any precision. (One can run more than one mouse at once, and let both hands share the work.) It's hard to beat the mouse for intuitive, accurate pointing on a 2-d display, but I don't know if my wrist will take another 10-15 years!

My solution has been to use a Logitech trackball on the left hand side of the board. This frees the right for typing and the number pad. I still use my Fellowes cushioned mouse pad with the gel wrist rest. Thanks for the "A" tip, by the way.
--
Crashj

Since I have been using my right hand with my trackball my RH doesn't bother me much. Now my left hand is starting to hurt pretty bad. The reason why it hurts is because of the typing. There isn't much that can be done about that.

But what I'm saying here is get the trackballs they will help your mouse hand.

Regards,

CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

How 'bout alternating every so often between mouse and track ball? Seems like all the articles talk about repetitive motions causing the problems. Don't know how long or short the interval should be. I was having some problems a while back until I got everything arranged exactly right for my reach. I alternated between left and right hand for the mouse about every 3-4 weeks. It helped a lot.

How about a voice recognition system for your PC depending on circumstances of course? (Don't want your cubie neighbors to lynch you!)

Be naughty - save Santa a trip.

Get used to using a trackball (Logitech make a good one)with your left hand and use your right hand for typing - it is really the most efficient method.

It doesn't take that long to learn either - I had to start doing this when I developed someting like tennis elbow from too much mouse work. Never looked back

Good Luck

I type ALOT of emails and I have to use both hands for that and that's where the problem is. I can't do much about that. Other than take some good pain killers and deal with it. I'm just glad my Right hand hasn't started hurting yet.... knock on wood!

The Voice regonition is a great idea though... I might have to look into that. I don't have any cubical neighbors to worry about. I work all by myself without anyone bothering me. I would be hard for me to go to a different job where I have to share space and worry about my cubicle friends. So I don't plan on changing for a while!

Thanks for the ideas!

Regards,

CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back