Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client's client and on-site inspection 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

photoengineer

Civil/Environmental
Oct 25, 2009
US
I do building inspections for a client on an as-needed basis. The inspections are real simple, I get a tour of the building and then write a report on the building.

Today, the client's client informed me that they want to be present for all building inspections. I did one this morning and the client's client told me exactly what to inspect and what not to inspect. I've done a large number of these and don't really need someone telling me how to do my job. Client's client is one that likes to be in charge.

Have you had experiences with this? I enjoy doing the work but less so when somebody gets bossy and decides they have to tell me to do my job.

Have you had experiences with this? How have you handled the situation? Any ethical concerns when the client's client micromanages a project?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To add a little more information, the client's client is busy and everybody is out of the office and can't attend the inspections. But they insist on being part of it.

This is slowing me down and causing me to take longer to get my reports in. My client wants everything in ASAP and gives more work to engineers that quickly turn reports in. In this case, the client's clients demands are risking my reputation with my client.

We have a saying.

The man who pays the piper calls the tune.

Your client pays you. His client pays him. Take your instructions from your client after rationally discussing your concerns. It is really up to your client as to how much you should do for his and to advise you what costs in time and fees he will accept for any extras.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

I realize you want to preserve your relationship with your client, but having a third party tell you how to do your work is not acceptable. Tell your client that you are being diverted in your inspections by the third party and that as a result, you might miss something important that could place your client in jeopardy. Tell him you don't mind if they are present during the inspections to observe your work, but that they have no business directing you. If they want to suggest areas of concern that they want you to concentrate on, have them do that in writing prior to the inspection.

Just tell your client that having his client directly managing your work is costing him more money.

If your client is ok with that then you should be happy with the extra billable hours.

You're a PE, so why is your client telling you what to inspect and what not? Isn't that a violation of your public safety responsibility? The legal requirements of your license should trump anything your client's client has to offer.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

I think it goes without saying that if it is a safety related or codes conformance inspection that all relevant work should be done regardless of the clients or the clients client direction. The direction should only involve extra, not less than you see fit.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

If your first client is an insurance company, they have a set list of concerns to address, which you obviously do in your reports. GThyey inspect nothing less. You need to tell your first client that the third party wants you to ignore their standard inspection list. Professionally, if it is in my list of things to inspect and someone tells me not to inspect something on that list, something smells, and I inspect that first.

And as for accompanying on the inspection, I personally don't like someone looking over my shoulder, but understand their concerns. However, if they interfere with the inspection in any way, I first issue a verbal warning. If they do not comply, I leave. I only had to to this once in the past, but never had a problem with that client again. Point made.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

I don't wish to say the precise nature of my inspection work.

I can say the reason a PE is involved is because a certain entity wants an outside person not affilated with the project to inspect and report on what has been done.

My feeling is the same as IRStuff. Having the client's client on site providing direction (even if only limited) goes against the intent of an independent inspection.

I'll have to tread carefully...I have another inspection on Wednesday. This client's client is very skilled at micromanaging and is very hard to say no to their requests.

Of course, observing the inspection is a reasonable and I'll certainly accomodate that request.

Just let him follow you around. When he says something or gives you a direction, say uh huh. Then go and write your report as normally.

You cannot do a quality inspection job if you cannot define the requirements. When the client's client told what to inspect and what not to inspect she defined your requirements. Unlike before, now you know what you are being paid to do.

"PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT'S IN THAT PARTICULAR CLOSET OVER THERE, WE DON'T WANT YOU INSPECTING THAT CLOSET. NO SIR. NOTHING TO SEE THERE."

:)

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

In a similar situation, I added the client's additions AND subtractions to the inspection process in my report, with their signature beside my initials, acknowledging the change... no signature, no changes... Worked like a charm, and I didn't receive "guidance" in any future inspections...

JD

From the Laws of Engineering:
Good, Fast, Cheap.
Pick any two...

Is Your inspecting agreement based on Your clients "verbal" or "written" check list?

At 74th year working on IR-One2 - - UHK PhD - - -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back