Climate data 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpalex

Mechanical
Jun 29, 2012
GB
Hello there,

Can anybody please point me towards where i might be able to obtain climatic data for particular years and for multiple locations?

The locations i'm looking for are a hot and dry enviornment somthing possibly like Libiya
and maybe Uk or somewhere cool and slightly humid

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

[link]http://www.tutiempo.net/en/Climate/Libya/LY.html[/url]

Select your city, on the next page select a year

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it's not safe ... make it that way.

Thank you guys..Somewhat exactly what i wanted..but i was to collect entire data for every over for a whole year for 2 locations so manually 160000 copy-pastes would be required,i was wondering if there was some structured data like in a spreadsheet it would be really helpful.

Thanks for the quick response guys..

I don't have the links handy, but the US Dept of Energy has a set of programs (DOE 2.2, eQuest, and EnergyPlus) for simulating building energy use on an hourly basis.

TMY (Typical Mean Year) weather files are available from around the world. There are many free utilities that can translate them into CSV (comma separated values) files that can be read by Excel.

Google DOE2 weather files

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

I've run into some problems with the hourly data on weather underground. Specifically with the precipitation values. Summing the hourly precipitation recorded gave me more than the total reported for the day. That caused me to question the accuracy of the hourly breaddown. Has anyone else seen this issue?

Example:
More precipitation fell between 11:00-2:00 than was recorded for the entire day. I can't explain that.

Nate the Great

You should be questioning the hourly data since the daily data is more accurate. It is generally better practice to take the daily precipitation and model the hourly precipitation from it.

There are a number of reasons for the precipitation discrepancies:

The method used to measure precipitation. (Weatherunderground is just reissuing data from other sources and it is difficult to find on the site how the precipitation was actually measured.)

The weather stations may accumulate the precipitation in a number of different ways. Because of these differences, the hourly totals don't necessarily add up to the same amount as reported by the daily value.

Daily rain gauges are usually more accurate than either radar precipitation estimates or hourly gauge reports.

Hourly figures are generally raw uncorrected automated radar measurements which tend to be unreliable.

Daily precipitation figures are generally more accurate when taken from an observed rain gauge rather than an automated radar station.

In general, it is difficult to get reliable estimates of hourly rainfall intensities. Here is an example of it:

"Properly exposed, calibrated, and evaluated, the customary 8-inch-diameter weighing rain gage yields hourly precipitation values with standard errors of about .01 inch, so that reliability within .02 inch can be assumed. But two identical gages 10 feet apart on a windy ridge top can differ consistently in catch by 50 per cent of the smaller. Four pairs of identical gages, exposed side by side at four sites in Santa Barbara County, California, January–April 1959, were studied."

Hourly rainfall data is of little practicle importance anyway. Nobody would design a drainage system, or irrigate their crops based on that, etc.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it's not safe ... make it that way.

Regarding the Weather Underground records... For readings taken at US airports (which is also the international standard), the readings taken approximately 5-10 minutes before the hour are the "official" record for that hour. Additional readings are taken more-or-less continuously to be broadcast to aircraft. These readings are recorded when they pass certain thresholds to become "unusual" events. The precipitation readings are cumulative during each hour, and are reset at the time of the official reading.

I would bet that if you sum the total of the "official" readings, it will closely match the daily total.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back