Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

clone assembly not updating links

Status
Not open for further replies.

multicaduser

Industrial
Jan 29, 2013
US
Start with a part containing only sketches, outline of a plate is one sketch, another sketch only has points for hole centers, all controlled by expressions. Create "Interface Objects" of the sketches in this file and use "Wave Interface Linker" to add the sketches to other files creating plates with holes. Then create an assembly which contains the sketch file and the plate files.

Now when the assembly is cloned everything updates except the sketches linked through "Wave Interface Linker", they still reference the original sketch file.

Is this "working as designed" or a bug?

tia

NX 1980 Windows 10

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Posted this on the wrong thread before.

I've contacted our var and scoured the Siemens site, and though there have been many issues in the past with "wave interface linker", the issue with sketch links not updating doesn't appear to be one of those listed. Admittedly, the search criteria might not have been good enough to find it.

However, there is a partial solution. The "wave relinker" function will allow, in the assembly, the correction of the links pointing to the wrong file in all components in one shot. Never having used this function before it is a nice surprise to find it.

NX 1980 Windows 10

Is there a reason you use the "interface objects thing" ?
I have not seen this issue when (only) having linked sketches and bodies ( Wave Geometry Linker only) and using the cloning tool.
( Never have touched the "wave interface linker" nor the "Interface" definition. Do not think these are relevant for us.)

Regards,
Tomas

The more you know about a subject, the more you know how little you know about that subject.

Toost said:
Is there a reason you use the "interface objects thing" ?

Thanks for the question. First it's more convenient, no need to create an assembly for the wave operation, which is handy if the same sketch is needed across multiple files. Second, when creating the interface object, if the sketch is named it propagates through the entire process.

The fact that objects such as solids and sheets update correctly during the clone process, but not sketches (have not checked expressions yet), makes me think this is a bug, that and using the wave relinker to fix the issue works like a charm. Right now that is my go to fix because multiple contacts with my var has produced no feedback. I will post any response they have to this issue.

NX 1980 Windows 10

When cloning, do you load all related files ?
i.e what's the load options set to ?

Regards, Tomas

The more you know about a subject, the more you know how little you know about that subject.

Toost said:
When cloning, do you load all related files ?
i.e what's the load options set to ?

Good thought, load options are:

As saved
All components
Fully loaded
Load interpart data
All levels

Answer from our var is they cannot reproduce the issue. I'm not allowed to share IP so when I get a little down time I'm going to create a small assembly example to share.

Just this morning I tested it on a trial laptop that has NX2212, and it reproduced the error exactly. when the General Wave Relinker was run all links were updated correctly so the process hasn't changed.

NX 1980 Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back