Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cloning Assembly and all children 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gedkins

Mechanical
May 11, 2001
US
Have studied cloning and the refernces to it in this forum. Not sure how it works but here is what I want to do:

Open an assembly and then save it and all its children (to the bottom of the assembly tree) to another directory with the same names across the board. I know about the SolidNX program for Save All As but without UG/Open its no good.
Can anyone assist me here. Or is TeamCenter required to make this easy?

Guy Edkins

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In UG NX/NX2...

Click on Assemblies/Cloning/Create Clone Assembly

When the cloning box opens up, click on "Add assembly"

Browse for the assembly file, click OK

Click on the "Exceptions" button. All the components in your assembly should appear on the list.

Using the pull down menu, assign your prefernece to each component - default, clone, or retain.

It sounds like you are interested in cloning all the components, so make sure they're all set "clone".

If there's a component that you don;t want to copy, but you want to remain in the assembly, set it to "retain".

Click OK and Click on "Execute"

Follow the prompts to browse for the new directory and give it the names of the components as required.

**Keep your eye on the cue line in the lower left, it will direct you as to the input required.

Hope this helps - Good luck.

Paul,

If I read your response correctly the UG will ask me the name of each sub-component as it walks throught the assembly and I need to type it in the file dialog box? Is there any way to avoid this if thats true?

Guy Edkins

Guy,

Most of the assemblies I've cloned have been small enough where typing in the names is not a big deal. I assume your assembly has a large number of components and it would be too cumbersome to do so.

One of the tabs in the clone box is called "naming rule". Perhaps there's some options there you could play with. I've never really tried it.

It might be worth a call to UG support. There must be a way to do what you're saying. They could probably talk you through it.

Good Luck
PP

I think you have to assign a new name to all of your parts when you clone them. What we have done is use a prefix for the first clone to a new directory and then remove the prefix on the second clone in the same directory.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back