Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

close proximity remote detector help

Status
Not open for further replies.

wgillin

Electrical
Jul 18, 2003
US
I am an inventor working on a simple project. I need a small sensor that will detect a key that is no bigger than 1"x1". The response of the sensor needs to be trigger if the key is not the key it is looking for and off if no key is in range or the key in range is the pass key. The range of operation should be 2-3 feet max. This application would be similar to a pass key security system. I'm starting from scratch on this so ANY help would be appreciated.

Wade

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your device need is very similar to the available RFID technologies that are used in security badges, tracking items in inventory, and for automatic toll booth payment.

Yes, the key could have a small watch size battery. Security badges, inventory tracking, and toll booth payment applications are very similar to what I need. Where can I learn more about RFID technology and turn key solutions?

The RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) industry is large - with it's own magazines and trade shows. There are versions that are battery powered, and remotely powered by the reading device antenna when the device comes within range. I don't work within this industry, so I'm unable to give much more help. I suggest you begin searching the internet using "RFID" and go from there.

2-3 feet of detection is to much for a simple passive(no battery in the tag)RFID tag, but an active tag can easily do the job.
The tag can be activated when it comes close to the reader, then the tag starts transmitting its ID number
I have seen things like that on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back