Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Closure test 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

firsan64

Mechanical
Jun 21, 2005
BR
Please, someone tell me wath means closure test ? In B16.34 and API 598 it´s mentioned. Is it the same hydrostatic test of assembled valve ? I need to write a routine of assembled valve hydrostatic test. I´ll use the same pressure that hydrostatic shell test ?

thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As per API598
Closure test:pressure test used to confirm leakage past or through a valve closure mechanism.
The closure test pressure obtained as follow:
-low pressure closure test 4-7 barg
-high pressure closure test=110% maximum allowable pressure
As you can see the closure test pressure is different from shall test pressure which is 150%MAWP.

There are six different seat leakage classifications as defined by ANSI FCI 70-2. This is used for mostly assembled control valves. Do a search on FCI-20.

Ok, but I think that I didn't know explain my doubt. I want to test (hydrostatic test) of assembled valves. I need to wwrite a routine for this test. We want to test the gaskets and packing. Do you Know any standard ?

Thanks.

Firmino: You will find the answer by following kahn101's advice, and perhaps in addition search this forum for leakage test and pressure tests!

You need to have standard to refer to, describing the quality and standard of your test, in addition (if needed) to your own detailed working procedure. Most such tests will be done with one sided pressure at max given seat test pressure, (see standards) at a given time and given leakage from drop-thight and up, and often also repeated for opposite direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back