Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CMU Firewall Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

karinmk

Structural
Jun 29, 2007
US
I need to design two 4 hour cmu firewalls (due to building area separation req'mts)for a four story, wood framed, assisted living building in Florida. Per FBC, a firewall must have "sufficient structural stability under fire conditions to allow collapse of the construction on either side without collapse of the wall." One fire wall will run parallel to the framing on either side, the other will have framing bearing on ledgers on one side only. I verifed with the local Building Official that a 4-hour cmu load bearing wall (UL901) can use the framing on either side to brace the wall. I'm assuming that if the framing burns on one side, it will simple drop away from the wall & not impart any additional forces on the wall. The architect wants to use breakawy clips, but I don't see how to do that and achieve adequate support for the framing members. Am I okay in my assumption that if the wood framing collapses on one side, it will not impact the wall? If not, what kind of forces should I design for? The architect wants an 8" wall if possible, which works for my asssumptions.

Thanks for any help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This has been discussed before - check out these previous threads:

thread507-88461

thread507-94079

thread507-148233

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back