Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

CMU vertical cracks @ embeded column location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Labs763

Structural
Oct 20, 2017
US
I am inspecting a vertical crack in a 12" CMU wall that overlaps an embedded 8" W-section column. I am not sure when it was done, but there was attempted control joint sawcut in only one face of the wall. The joint apparently does not relieve any stress, as there is a crack running parallel to the joint at the top of wall, which then runs diagonal and crosses over. This happens on the opposing CMU face as well, where there is no joint.

I am trying to decide how to resolve this (or if I need to). Since there is a column supporting the joist girder, in my opinion this is clearly a temp/shrinkage crack due to the weakened plane in the wall (no other wall CJ's observed in the area). I have seen some people on the forums suggesting that you should just leave the crack as is since it will just reform. While I agree it will reform, my concern is that we should be providing vertical reinforcement on each side of a control joint (or at least I do here in a high seismic zone). The situation is worse than usual too since they had to cut out CMU webs to get the column in there.

Has anyone run into something like this? It is an interior wall that will not be exposed, so I am not worried about water penetration or aesthetics. I would also like to avoid grouting the cells the column is in, which creates the added issue of how to replace faceshells (if needed). Would you weld ties to the columns and place them in the joints to make sure the new faceshells are supported out of plane?

Thanks for the help!

[link photo][/url]

[link sketch][/url]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Assuming the wall is non bearing (from the picture) I would just leave the crack alone. My guess is the wall was built without the joint and after the crack appeared a solution was suggested to saw cut it to provide a joint. If it's a shrinkage induced crack then there's no need to mess with it. If it's a stiffness induced crack from column movement then I guess there's a possibility of further damage to the unsupported strip of wall. However, since the wall is reinforced it most likely also has horizontal joint reinforcement (16" oc or whatever local practice is). I would think the wire should provide enough mechanical attachment to keep the face shells engaged with the rest of the wall). In closing - I am not worried if nothing further is done...

Thank you for your response. That is what I am now leaning towards as well, so I am glad to hear you agree. The wall is technically load bearing, but the load is small (there are some small span bar joists on the opposing side). Additionally, one bar joist aligns with the column, and they are at a 4ft spacing, so the next bearing location would not be within this cracked wall region.

Always nice to bounce an idea off someone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back