Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

CNC Memory capacity 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

engrQA

Mechanical
Aug 30, 2005
US
I am using a CNC lathe to manufacture a variety of sizes of the same type of part. Each part requires a different program and subsequently different offsets to get the results just perfect. My problem is that I'm running out of space on the machine's hard drive, and I have more programs to enter. I have a PC that is linked with the machine that has an old version of Quicklink on it. This works ok for transferring the programs, but does not work for transferring the offsets that go along with the programs. I would rather not have to enter in the offsets every time I do a changeover. Are there any upgrades I can get for a Mazak Quickturn 6G CNC lathe?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You will have to check with your control/machine tool supplier to see if your control is capable of doing what you want. If you change the physical tools in the pockets the previous offsets are worthless anyway. If you would use the same programming techniques in all programs the offsets should not vary a great deal between setups.

Depending on the age of the machine, that could be difficult. What control (and version or model of control) it on it? Depending on this, you may have some other capabilities on it that you may not be aware of. Also, if the parts are a similar, you could do this as macro programming save space, or in Mazatrol depending on the control.

It is an EIA/ISO machine. As far as I can tell, it has the basic Mazatrol contoller with only 64 tool offset capacity.

How many tool/offsets do you use in a single program? If you have 64 capable, can you make each program use a different offset? As Bill said though, if you actually change the tooling, the offsetting is negated anyway. Also, in your programming, are you programming from centerline with comp? or are you touching off each set up and tools to the part/material? If you set it to a known diameter or center, then you can eliminate having to set so many different offsets on the same tools. You can also utilize modular tooling which will allow you to pre-set tooling. You should also have an I/O for the tool offset page. You can input the tool offsets through that or input the offsets in the program.

I appreciate all your help. The tooling is exaclty the same for every program so that does not move at all. The parts that we are machining are copper cyclinders that are about .015" thick. We're using expanding collets to hold the cans in place, while the machine puts a full radius on one end. I have to have two offsets per program because i have to manually adjust the offsets to get the radiuses just perfect. Thanks for the suggestion to transfer the offsets, I actually discovered this just the other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back