Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

CNC programming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are books (can't think of the name, it's still early) that have the ANSI G and M codes.  The best reference is your machine's operations manual, because it will have all the standard G and M codes plus any proprietary codes.  Every controler is different, which are you working with?  I have worked with Mitsubishi, Fanuc and Charmiles; I maybe able to help.

thank you for ansewring me<br><br>I know only EIA code <br>I worked with Picopath Numerical Controler&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>for milling&nbsp;&nbsp;and flame cutting machine.<br><br>I need to lern G code in order to get a job<br>as a CNC programming<br><br>Mircea BALAN<br>Romania ,EUROPE<br><A HREF="mailto:bmd@fim.usv.ro">bmd@fim.usv.ro</A>

Visit this site for G & M codes mircea, u can find a table with titles.<br>The files are in PDF format. u need an acrobat reader/plugin.<br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> visit and go through these sites<br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> (must visit site)<br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> HREF=" TARGET="_new"> (for G-code explanation)<br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> luck for ur job

Ramu,<br>G code programming is really simple if you're good with math.<br><br>There are only a few basic commands, and there is an easy way to remember them.&nbsp;&nbsp;This was INTENTIONAL when the code was developed!!!<br><br>G90 Absolute positioning (The zero looks like a bulls eye..)<br>G91 Incremental positioning (the &quot;1&quot; looks like an &quot;I&quot;)<br>Absolute - &quot;go to the intersection of 5th and main streets&quot;<br>Incremental - &quot;go 3 blocks, then turn right, then go 2 more blocks...&quot;<br><br>G0 (G00) Rapid positioning (it looks like the word &quot;GO&quot;!)<br>G1 (G01) Linear interpolation - (the &quot;1&quot; looks like an &quot;L&quot;)<br>G2 (G02) Circular interp.&nbsp;&nbsp;- (direction is the same as the way you start to write the &quot;2&quot;...)<br>G3 (G03) Circular interp the other way!&nbsp;&nbsp;Anti-clockwise<br><br>Each machine may be a little different about how you tell it about where the center of the arc is etc.<br><br>M0 - stop<br>M1 - Optional stop (no tricks here...)<br>M2 - tape rewind or end of program<br>M3 - spindle on clockwise (always looking down the spindle axis)<br>M4 - spindle counter clockwise (requires left hand cutters)<br>M5 - spindle stop<br>M6 - tool change usually<br>M7 or M8&nbsp;&nbsp;turn on coolant (mist or flood)- varies with machine<br>M9 turn off all coolants<br><br><br>etc..<br><br>I have to go, but I hope this helped<br>

Hi LTD,<br><br>thanks for ur concerns.<br><br>The request was made by imbmd.<br>I just gave some suggestions.<br><br>Thanx,<br>ramu

Although its worth knowing what all the G and M codes are, its not a show stopper if you are not that familier with them.<br>I am adesign engineer who owns a LeBlond 3-axis CNC mill, I do all my programming in Surfcam, The post processor should if (configured correctly)take care of all the G and M codes. I don't think you need to do any programming training (learning what the G and M codes mean)if you use a software package to write G code. I use Surfcam for even the simplest programming as its just plain faster. If you don't have access to a PC machining programm then you will be limted to the cpmplexity of parts you can write programs for.<br>If I have a problem with the post-processor outputting bad G code (especially with drilling, tapping, reaming cycles etc) I just get my wife who is a much better CNC driver than I am. <br>All the G and M codes I have learnt and become familier with is thru de-bugging programs<br>regards<br>Dave Cam<br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new">

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back