Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CO2 and H2S capture units

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzznook

Chemical
Feb 15, 2006
SE
Dear all.

I wonder if any of you know where CO2 and/or H2S capture systems are fitted in the petrochemical industy. I found them in the ammonia process and ethylene oxide process. Very often the solvent in the ammonia process is K2CO3. Can it be any amine as well? Anybody with any expiriences with other solvents and such systems fitted in other petrochemical processes?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A variety of amines are used to remove H2S from petrochemical, gas processing and refining gas streams.

Wellhead gases containing H2S have to be 'sweetened' to the required levels before the gas can be add to the main transportation pipelines.

Refining generates H2S in gas streams which has to be removed and converted to sulfur, the removal of the H2S is commonly done with amines: DEA or MDEA are common. Less common is my experience is CO2 removal. We did remove CO2 from the feed ethane in the ethane cracker I worked in years ago, that used MEA as it had a higher affinity for CO2 than other amines. Final polishing step to remove CO2 was a caustic wash of the gas stream.

When using MDEA to remove H2S and CO2 what material is recquired in the vessels such as the columns, reboilers, leanrich..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back