Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CO2 corrosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidmoul

Materials
Jun 20, 2008
FR
Hi guys,

I'm trying to find compatibility information for our material respect to CO2 corrosion.

If there is a complete litterature on carbon steel, there is not much on polymers.

We are dealing with coils, impregnation system and so on...

Do you have any references on this compatibility? Is it a false problem?

Any help would be very great...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CO2 Corrosion cannot happen in the absence of liquid water. If you have a dehydrated system or a rigerous pigging program then you won't have CO2 corrosion. I see a lot of people going to exotic materials (there is a lot of 1500 psi rated fiberglass piping in the area where I live because everyone was terrified of the pipe just melting away from CO2) when they could have more effectively run CS and implemented a comprehensive pigging schedule.

As to what materials can work with CO2, the answer is "most materials". I get really nervous with the higher grades of SS (installed because of the fear of CO2 corrosion) in high chloride applications. The risk of SCC is much higher than the risk being "mitigated".

David

thank you for your answer...

The fact is that our spec indicate that the treated gaz will be pure CO2 without any water (less than 1ppm). No ris of CO2 corrosion during the process...

However, what we know really wel is that the spec is never representing reality, especially in the oil and gaz industry... So we want to know what happens in case of the presence of water (during test, opening of the machine and so on...).

I'm looking especially for data about the polymer compatibility.

Your right for the high chloride application and the risk. However, this will not be the case in this application of CO2 treatment.

Thank you,

I will order this norm. In fact having a look on the internet on this norm, it seems to be exactly what I need (used by some of our customers).

Once again, many thanks for this really helpful information.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back