Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CO2 - O2 separtion question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dion

Mechanical
Nov 1, 2001
US
I have a gas stream that is ~70% CO2 and ~70% air. I would like to recover the CO2 from the stream at a high purity (less than 100PPM Oxygen). I only need to recover 30-50% of the raw gas stream to make this viable. Any suggestions on a membrane? Is there simulation software avilalble to be able to play "what if"?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The molecular weights : O2=32, N2=28, C02 = 44

I don't think the difference is enough to enable you to
use a membrane separation.

Can't you use the difference in the solubility in H2O ? <nbucska@pcperipherals.com>

Try using mixed matrix membrane. The membrane contains zeolite on polymer substrate. it works well on the separation of CO2 from N2 and CO2 from O2.

References : &quot;Gas permeation characteristics of polymer-zeolite mixed matrix membranes&quot; Journal of membrane science (1994), 91, pp 77 and &quot; A new composite membrane for selective transport of gases&quot; in Proceedings of the 6th international symposium on synthetic membranes in science and indeustry, Germany, 1989

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back