Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CO2 production from boiler combustion gases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chemical
Sep 19, 2001
AR
I work for an Ammonia & Urea producing plant.

We are interested to increase our actual capacity of the urea plant. We have an excess of NH3 but need an extra amount of CO2 (in the order of 22 Ton/hr maximum)

We are thinking to install a boiler (Natural gas fired to get CO2 from combustion gases.

The natural gas may contain H2S: 0,5 - 2 ppm & HRS: 0.5 - 2 ppm. Average CO2 content 0.7 Mol % v/v

I will very much appreciate if someone can tell me which are the the most important technologies that can design this type of system and how to contact them.

Also any other configuration to obtain CO2 will be considered.
Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You will have to talk to ammonia urea technolgy suppliers for this. But seems to be a novel way to generate CO2. My gut feeling is it may not be economically justified.

In case you get any reply from any technology suppliers do keep me posted.

Commecial quantities of CO2 can be produced, apart from combustion of carbon containing fuels followed by its recovery from the flues, by methane partial oxidation with water as in ammonia and hydrogen plants:
CH4 + 2H2O --> CO2 + H2; by fermentation of a sugar to ethyl alcohol + CO2, as in C6H12O6 --> 2 C2H5OH + 2CO2; by thermal decomposition of carbonates (lime-kilns) CaCO3 --> CaO + CO2; from natural CO2 gas wells; int the production of sodium phosphate: 3Na2CO3 + 2 H3PO4 -->2 Na3PO4 + 3 H2O + 3CO2.

CO2 is generally purified by efficient absorption in alkali (carbonate and ethanolamine) solutions (not in water!). There are plenty of processes for that purpose.

I hope the above short list of processes may be of help.

Commercial quantities of CO2 can be produced, apart from combustion of carbon containing fuels followed by its recovery from the flues, by methane partial oxidation with water as in ammonia and hydrogen plants:
CH4 + 2H2O --> CO2 + H2; by fermentation of a sugar to ethyl alcohol + CO2, as in C6H12O6 --> 2 C2H5OH + 2CO2; by thermal decomposition of carbonates (lime-kilns) CaCO3 --> CaO + CO2; from natural CO2 gas wells; int the production of sodium phosphate: 3Na2CO3 + 2 H3PO4 -->2 Na3PO4 + 3 H2O + 3CO2.

CO2 is generally purified by efficient absorption in alkali (carbonate and ethanolamine) solutions (not in water!). There are plenty of processes for that purpose.

I hope the above short list of processes may be of help.

The quantity of CO2 requirement will not justify a only CO2 producing plant and the associated capital costs. From an operating point of view you might be better off by buying out the extra C02.

Normally the ammonia urea complexes are stoichiometrically balanced. Either there has been a change in plans for the extra ammonia or your feed composition to the reformer has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back